2018. február 8., csütörtök

The dancing queen - a Dolly story

"You can dance, you can jive, having the time of your life
See that girl, watch that scene, digging the Dancing Queen"

Song: Dancing Queen by ABBA. I guess it could be called a song from the musical Mamma Mia as well.

It took a whole week untill I was allowed to get out of bed and return to the others. Dollfluenza is infective (for dolls only, not for humans, although Kiki did not care for it and visited me every day - as she is the snow queen and all she hardly ever gets those illnesses) so I was put in another room for safety. A last check, a last cup of tea, some biscuits and I was allowed to go back. Meritre had to be off to somewhere but she offered to take me back to our room before leaving. I declined kindly but firmly this offer, it's much safer to sneak back than to be brought back and everyone notices you're there and stares at you as if you came from a different world. You may have noticed that I'm not keen on attracting attention. :)
The door was open just a bit so I could slip in unnoticed. I looked around cautiously.
Noone to be seen. Great! It's not far to the desk and the other girls must be all up there.
Now, to sneak along the bed and climb up the desk... but I did not get to do it. I literally froze, when a vaguely familiar voice called out to me. I would have preferred to run away but I was impolite long enough. "Uhmm, hi!" was all I could get out of my mouth.
"Good morning, m'lady, I was hoping to see you today." Mylady? Me? What? He didn't talk like that last time. Well, at least he did the starting the conversation part.
"I was wondering if m'lady had a little time to practice the valtz?" Why me? I didn't want to but I didn't have the heart to simply say no. That often leads to trouble according to my experience. Kiki had already said once that I'm just too tender-hearted. She said that's mostly a good thing but I should be careful. Now I know why. It must have been written all over my face that I was unwilling because Vester sighed.
"I asked the other ladies out of their boxes but..."
"Oh, great," I smiled "Daphne would be a perfect choice, with her ballgown and all. She dances in her movie as well."
"She said she's a very clumsy dancer and hated it."
My relief was gone.
"She apologized about a thousand times." he added.
I swalloved. Right, I have forgotten that, although it was one of the first things she told us when she was let out of her box. I had to find another girl for him.
"Aaaand Kuei-Lan?" I offered.
"She was positively scared stiff of me." he replied. "Just bowed and disappeared." He was not really happy about that and I could understand. Who likes to be the monster of a dollfamily? Or worse, not even belonging to the dollfamily.
"Hannah?" I suggested.
"She said I should go and ask you and that she wouldn't steal someone elses partner."
By this time I realized my friends still had their thoughts on the two of us and I didn't like it.
"Pocahontas?" She is always very obliging.
"She has a bad leg. She has trouble walking, not to menion running. Factory defect." Oh yes, that's right, I forgot. That's why she often stands at the window and stares out, she would love to go out there but with her limp it's just not safe.
"But sure Valancy would agree?" 

He shook his head.
"But she assured me you would be delighted to oblige me, m'lady which I can't really believe."
"Sue?" She was my last chance.
"She was practicing walking. Since she is a mermaid, she has difficulties with walking. Having that fishtail for most of her life didn't really help."
I could hardly blame any of the girls but I still felt like I was let down.
"Than it has to be me" I sighted "and by the time I get back, there will be pink hearts all over the shelf." Huh? How did that slip out? I didn't mean to say that!
"So that's it" he frowned "Your friend have strange ideas." I just nodded.
He seemed to ponder over something, than he spoke again.
"I guess it's not easy with so many girls around and only me and Edward Eugen..." It sounded ad if he was talking to himself.
"But why you and me?" he asked.
"Probably because you were staring at me the whole time Meritre was deboxing you." I offered.
Remember that?
"Where else was I expected to look for guidance if the only doll in sight? And that only doll happened to be you." I never thought about that but it was indeed true, since Meritre did the deboxing and taking photos in another room. She said the light was better there. I detected no difference.
"But they already watched... the dancing class, at least part of it. That was enough for them."
"I can imagine that." He sounded bitter.
He didn't mention the Holiday Frozen sisters but from what Kiki (she simply doesn't dance) told me, those two share my opinion of  Hans and his villanious ways. And of course I saw him up there talking to them, something he had never done before. He was really desperate if he was willing to try that.
"All right, I'll do it. But only now and then and we have to find a place where the others can't see us."
"Beeing secretive might make things worse."
" We have to make them understand that we are simply... friends."
"Simply... friends."
"Yes, only friends and nothing more."

And I thought he will make things worse with... talking. Too bad, girls, I grinned, it's nothing of that sort. Just friendship. And I was upset about that? I could have hit myself. He only needed a friend. At least now all's well. At least I think so.


PS by Kiki: Now they are one step forward. Dolly keeps saying she doesn't trust him a bit but this is a case where actions speak louder than words ;)

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése