2017. március 23., csütörtök

Beauty and the Beast - the musical

Note: I write the hungarian names as we write them here in hungary: surname first, then comes the given name

Disneys new, live action Beauty and the Beast movie premiered today in my country (and it is said that even Luke Evans, the actor who played Gaston, showed up) Here is a photo, linked from an online article about the movie :) I haven't seen the movie yet.
source:
http://hvg.hu/kultura/20170323_A_szepseg_es_a_szornyeteg_sztarja_Luke_Evans_megjelent_a_budapesti_premieren
I thought this is a great opportunity to share something about the musical version and especially about the one I've seen, the hungerian version.
What I love about the musical are the added details and songs. As a child I always wondered, why did the enchantress curse the servants, they didn't chase her away. And in the musical there is an answer: they didn't do anything directly to get rid of the lady but as Lumiére says, they played a great part in the princes life and it was their fault that he became so spoilt and selfish.
I thought I could share some thoughts and photos about the hungarian musical version of Beauty and the Beast.
Since the 2005 premiere there were quite a few changes in the cast so I'll try and show as many of them as I can. The show is still running, though it is on a tour at the moment. It is a non-replica version so it doesn't look like the Broadway production and I figured this could be interesting for my readers. The costumes are different for example. Here is the youngest actress who plays Belle (Kisfaludy Zsófia)and got the role not so long ago, showing off the blue village outfit.
source:
http://fidelio.hu/zenes_szinhaz/2015/01/05/mi_is_itt_vagyunk_kisfaludy_zsofia/
Quite different but I still like it. When she flees from the castle, a sleeve is accidentally torn off by the beast. And when the Beast saved her but collapses she uses a part of her petticoat to bandage his wound quickly, untill they get back to the castle.
Her pink dress is quite different from the animated version, too, but I couldn't find a decent picture. I apologize for the quality. It has a short sleeve made of a fragile, a bit lace-like fabric. The skirt has lots of little roses and other flowerlike patterns on it. She wears this for the library scene, there is no green dress in this version. The library itself is a huge swing.

And of course the golden-yellow ballgown:

The dress she wears at the end is a bit different but the costumes the different Belles have aren't always exact copies of each other, either.
Mrs Potts (Polyák Lilla) and Lumiére (Bálint Ádám ) giving the Beast advice. (I'm sorry, I can't identify the actor playing the Beast - there are backdraws with a mask like that) I really like these costumes:

Maurice and his invention, it reminds me a bit of a bicycle and it works similar but it is supposed to be more like a motorbike:
I had to replace the picture because the theatre renewed its homepage and removed the Beauty and the Beast gallery. The picture comes from a youtube video but I did not make it, I found it via Google.
Gaston and Lefou - had to replace this picture as well because the theatre renewed its homepage and removed the Beauty and the Beast gallery:
Source: https://szinhaz.org/zenes-szinhaz/operett/2017/07/27/szepseg-es-szornyeteg-500/

The three crazy ladies who are after Gaston (Les Bimbettes in the animated version):
Part of the castle with Beast (Homonnay Zsolt):
source: http://www.homonnayzsolt.hu/hu/fotok/a-szepseg-es-a-szornyeteg-2014
Be our Guest (Lumiére is Bereczky Zoltán):

Belle (Szinetár Dóra) meets the Wardrobe, aka Madame de le Grand Bouche (Siménfalvy Ágota):
Some other enchanted objects with Chip and Mrs. Potts (Polyák Lilla), singing Human again.:
And if you look closely you can spot Belle and Beast in the upper left corner. :)
Cogsworth (Földes Tamás), Beast (Homonnay Zsolt) and Lumiére (Bálint Ádám):

 The End: Belle (Jenes Kitti) and the Prince (Homonnay Zsolt) celebrate their engagement, with Mrs Potts (Nádasi Veronika) sitting in the forground.
source: http://www.homonnayzsolt.hu/hu/fotok/a-szepseg-es-a-szornyeteg-2014
This is the other yellow gown, the bottom of the skirt and the shoulder part is a bit different, and the skirt is more folwing, not as stiff as the orther.
My favourite Belle (Vágó Bernadett) and Beast uhm I wanted to say Prince (Szabó P. Szilveszter) :)

I got out the booklet and the pamphlet I received when I watched the performance. The bigger one is from around the premiere the other one is only a few years old. Elisabeth Belle was curious to learn more about Belle.
There are lots of beautiful photos there!
Elisabeth posing with the booklet and the pamphlet
The booklet introduces the whole cast and creative team with photo and there are a few sentences about them. Photos and the first part of the text of the song Beauty and the Beast is also there.The pamphlet only had the names, a little about the performance and photos.
To round it all up, her is a short video made by the theatre:
The music is live from a performance I hope you enjoyed it.

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése